It is essential that library users and conservation staff can access books and other materials so we offer an easy to use digital retrieval service using barcode tagging and online tracking systems to provide speedy access to materials in storage or in transit. Reading or display areas can also be provided. Boxes and pallets with identification markings, including colour coding and barcodes for sequence in the new location are used to enable easy transfer and identification. Our team are also experienced in handling lektrievers, rotary storage and mobile storage systems.
We have many delighted library, archive and museum customers, who have appreciated our complete one stop service, which helps to reduce costs and the need to deal with multiple contractors. We also move and store office furniture, kitchen and communal furniture and items, equipment, AV and IT and can arrange of disposal of any unwanted assets through our environmental Refresh programme. This includes IT kit and servers where we can securely remove data and arrange zero to landfill disposal. Where there is a need for storage we can undertake the move and provide secure and temperature controlled storage facilities.
Through our sister company Restore and in partnership with the National Conservation Service (NCS) we have converted Upper Heyford air base (a Cold War historical monument) into twenty first century heritage storage buildings. The NCS chose Restore as their heritage storage partner as they met the very strict heritage storage criteria that was demanded. Upper Heyford offers storage space that meets the storage requirements of PD5454:2012. In addition the site is bomb, flood and fire proof and pest free which keeps precious materials safe and sound. Modern techniques allow us to provide atmosphere controlled suites. Contract lengths are flexible according to what customers require and costs are competitive.
Restore also obtained the former stone quarry at Monkton Farleigh Mine which was turned into a sophisticated storage centre. The mine offered two immediate benefits; the area was already secure due its nature and had vast square footage. Using cutting edge technology the space was adapted to store documents, books, archives and other materials in constant temperature and humidity controlled environments. The space is incredibly flexible; and allows for private vaults, open book storage and shared storage which suits a wide variety of customer needs. To view a video on Monkton Farleigh click here.
Our library and archive moving services:
- Moves and secure storage of books, maps, drawings, plans, photographs, audio, visual and all other archival materials
- Book dusting and auditing
- Shelf dismantling, installation and re-pitching
- Special collection wrapping, packing and moving
- Book and materials retrieval service
- Removal and storage of furniture, AV and IT
- Disposal of books, furniture, equipment, AV and IT through our environmental Refresh programme
- Project and move management
- Provide secure and temperature controlled storage space which has NCS and PD5445:2012 approval
Our skills and experience include:
- A long history of undertaking library and archive moves of varying sizes including a vast range of books, materials and items
- Library moving experts working hand in glove with our customers to get the job done
- Demonstrable understanding of how libraries and archives work
- An understanding of different library shelving systems and spaces
- Knowledge of library classification systems including Dewey, Congress and Binary
- Knowledge and ability to use the right materials and methods for handling, packing and moving items
- Expertise in handling, packing and moving precious and fragile books and items
- Skills in packing and moving books and materials sequentially and merging and separating book collections
- Outstanding project management and planning skills
- Offering support with insurance and risk assessment
- Ability to work productively with other service providers such as trade contracts and architects
- Flexible and adaptable ways of working – we are easy to work with
- Excellent communication skills
Previous customers have given us glowing feedback and recommended us to other colleagues.
If you would like to book a free onsite consultation, or require advice please call us now on 0345 603 8774.
"I'd like to say how impressed I am by the organisation during the move.
Today I've needed three books in three different sections on three floors, and have had no trouble each time despite the large-scale moving."
Library user at the University of Leicester